The best way to find out is to consult with an attorney. A property damage lawyer will examine your insurance policy, assess your property damage, discuss the circumstances and events that gave rise to your property damage, and help you pursue the compensation you deserve to make the repairs you need.

Although you may submit your claim to the insurance company before or after retaining an attorney (and you should report a claim as soon as you see damage), only a licensed attorney can file a lawsuit against the insurance company if the insurance company refuses to pay what you are owed. Unlike a public adjuster or loss consultant, only a licensed attorney can initiate a lawsuit and force the insurance company to justify their underpayment or denial of a claim in court if your insurance company refuses to pay what you are justly owed. You will need an attorney to pursue a legal claim against the insurance company, as only a licensed attorney can depose the insurance company’s corporate representative, send discovery requests to the insurance company to understand the basis for the coverage determination. Once a lawsuit is filed, only a licensed attorney can seek relief from the court for efforts an insurance company might make to delay or deny rightful payment. The Property People have spent years litigating insurance disputes over property damage to homes, condominiums, and commercial units, and understand the issues that may come up when it is not clear whether a policy should cover a claim.

To know whether your insurance company should cover your claim, or pay for repairs to be made to your property damage, you will need to reference your insurance policy. Policies will often exclude claims for damage that is long-term in nature, results from neglect or poor maintenance, and is reported late. Some policies may not cover flood damage or mold, but they may contain coverage for hurricane or storm damage that results in flooding or mold. Insurance companies may misinterpret policy language to avoid paying a claim, fail to thoroughly investigate a loss, demand that you submit a sworn proof of loss, or use unreasonable delays to avoid resolving a claim.

It is not always simple to learn exactly what is covered and what is excluded by your insurance policy. At times, policy language can be ambiguous and confusing. The Property People are there to seek prompt and effective payment for your insurance claim, so that your quality of life and livelihood do not have to suffer.

CategoryLegal Advice
Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

© 2020 propertypeoplelaw.com 78 SW 7th St, Suite 8-147
Miami, FL 33130